The Mengo is located on the Mengo Hill, which derives its name from the grinding stones used by the first occupants of this hill (people from Nvubu clan) to grind their herbal medicine.
The Mengo Palace was established by Kabaka Mwanga II in 1885 and his main house named “Mukulu-atta-maka-ge”.

So far, the Mengo Palace has been used by three Kings:-

  1. Ssekabaka Mwanga II 1885-1897.
  2. Ssekabaka Daudi Chwa II 1897-1939.
  3. Ssekabaka Muteesa II 1939-1966
  4. Kabaka Mutebi II 1997- to date.

The main house in the Mengo Palace now is known as Twekobe, built from 1922-1933, during the reign of Ssekabaka Daudi Chwa II.

In 1966 the Mengo Palace was attacked by the by Uganda Army on orders of Obote, the then Prime Minister of Uganda, later turning it into a military barracks and was occupied by the military until 1997, before it was handed back to the Kabaka.